Monday, January 25, 2010

resolutions and front door surprises

When Andrew and I were in Toronto we pledged that when we moved to Arizona we were going to kick-start this healthy living regimine. We were going to eat healthy, balanced, and organic. We were going to cut out caffeine (bahahhahahaha) and work harder on fitness.

Well, when we got to Arizona we were stunned to realize that produce in Arizona is EXPENSIVE. Organic produce? Really, really expensive. We just couldn't afford it, and thus the entire pledge fell away only to rear it's head briefly around the New Year, every New Year. Again. And Again. And again.

We aren't total failures at healthy living. In fact, I happen to think we do a pretty good job. We eat fairly balanced with the largest portion of our diets being vegetables and fruits. We eat local whenever we can, and we make smart choices.

Still, we could be better and this year I took our resolution seriously and started doing some research.

Two things are our biggest obstacles. 1. Our weekly grocery budget. 2. Planning becomes harder when certain foods aren't always available.

The above poorly constructed paragraphs are all to tell you that we signed up for two deliveries. The first is a box of organic produce delivered weekly by Organics to You. After reviewing our grocery list, I think this box's price is close to what we already spend on produce. The difference is that I don't really know what I am getting every week, so that eliminates meal planning. I am really anxious about this. More so than I should be, but I keep telling myself that dinner will now be MORE ADVENTURE LESS TRADITION! The other service is a local farm that makes deliveries at no charge. They also come weekly with organic butter, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheeses, and beef. This is the biggest effect on our budget - but if we make eliminate other items on our list (spaghetti sauce, sweet-n-low), we should be able handle this as well.

This brings me to a question? Internet, how much money do you spend on groceries every week? How many mouths do you feed?

No comments:

Post a Comment