Thursday, February 4, 2010

loads of colors and a mystery

Oh, how magical the days are when boxes of food appear on your door. I don't have to go anywhere, I can even scratch personal hygeine completely off my list and STILL they show up.


First, the dairy order - Wednesdays via Noris Dairy.


Easier of the two boxes because eggs, cheese, butter, and sour cream are already staples that don't throw off our normal meal plans.




Still, I had to be a bit creative with the organic ground beef since we rarely eat red meat AT ALL much less in the ground form. (We had tacos. F for creativity I KNOW).

Then Thursdays we have THIS. ALL SORTS OF FUN PRODUCE LOOT!




And this is where I get OCD. I meal plan. Obsessively. Over and over and over and over again. I make a meal plan, then I revise it to make it better. As if anyone but me really cares. Alas, with a delivery of surprise produce I CANNOT plan. It is sadly INCREDIBLY exciting. And sadly very frightening to me.

So, I wait for a suprise box, and then my challenge is to make it through the week using it up and actually feeding my family.

This week our box contained:

Potatoes

An onion

Leeks

A bunch of celery

Beets

Colorful carrots

Assorted Apples

Butternut Squash

Pears

Mushrooms

Broccoli

2 large heads of lettuce

A handful of tangerines

2 Avocados

And an alien looking growth type vegetable thing.

Green Beans

A bag of assorted greens.

I am fairly certain I can compose three or more meals out of all of this. But, I am at a loss as what to do with BEETS? And the alien green spiky vegetable? Rapini maybe?

1 comment:

  1. Your alien green spikey thing might be kohlrabi. Do you have a photo? I'd never heard of it before we got it in our farmshare a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete