Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thursday Night, Chicken Noodle Soup

From the produce box:
carrots
celery


On hand:
organic chopped garlic from New Seasons
1.5 lb organic chicken from Safeway
thyme (it grows in the window seal)
organic large lemons from Safeway
1 Qt. organic free range chicken broth from New Seasons
fine egg noodles


This recipe would probably be better with an entire chicken, but since I did NOT PLAN the only whole chicken I have is frozen.


Instructions:


I sear the chicken on medium high heat with pepper, 1 T chopped fresh Thyme, about 1 T of the garlic, and 2 T olive oil until it starts to turn brown on both sides.


Then I add the broth scraping up the brown bits and reduce the heat to medium.


Next I finally chop the celery and carrots. Oh, the carrots!



They are beautful and rainbow, and the celery has dirt on it still and tastes so celery-like. I add those to the pot and simmer, helping the chicken come apart with a fork.


I add water to cover the vegetables, return it to a bowl and then add the egg noodles and the jice from the lemon. I season with remaining thyme and pepper (we use alot of pepper).


I simmer for an hour over medium-low.
Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment